On Saturday, March 1st, there will be about 2,000 participants running in the Point Bock Run. This yearly affair is hosted by the Stevens Point Brewery. The run is routed along the beautiful Wisconsin River. After the 5-mile run is completed, runners get to indulge in an after-party that involves several barrels of Stevens Point Brewery brewed beers.
The temperatures for Saturday are going to be quite frigid. The estimated high is 7 degrees with winds at 10 to 15 miles per hour. Not only are there concerns of beer taps freezing, but conditions are going to be chilly for participants. However, Wisconsinites are tough. We have no doubt that participants will be able to bear the elements. However, it may be a good idea to review some tips on running in cold weather.
Cold weather running tips:
• Wear thin layers of wicking (performance) fabric while running
• Don’t forget your running gloves and extra layer of socks to keep your feet warm
• Keep your head protected by wearing a hat or headband
• Try to cover any exposed skin as much as you can
• Even though it is cold out you should still make sure to stay hydrated
• You may want to consider a new pair of shoes that offer more warmth for your toes
• When the weather is below zero you should be layering with 3 tops and 2 pairs of pants
Once you finish running, it’s time to kick back and relax at the after-party. The beer will be flowing in the large heated tent located in the parking lot of the brewery. Have fun, dress warm, and stay hydrated.
By: Hannah Schaenzer