September is international update your resume month. Celebrate this month by pulling out your resume and taking the time to update it. Even if you are comfortable in your current career position, you never know when a new opportunity may present itself.
Use these Tuesday Tips to update your resume:
• When looking at your resume, start at the bottom and see if there is anything new you should be adding.
• Look at the positions you have held, if there is one that is no longer relevant to your career path—delete it.
• Update your current job to be up-to-date on any new projects, positions, or accomplishments you have completed since the last time you updated your resume.
• Refresh the design of your resume. You should not be using the same style and design for your resume that you have had for years. Instead, polish your resume so that it looks refreshed and modern.
• Most importantly, proofread your resume several times. Grammatical errors look very bad to employers. You should also have a friend or colleague look at your resume to see if they have any suggestions for you.
• Consider expanding your volunteer experience by volunteering at an organization you feel strongly about.
• Try to be brief, even if you could have several pages of employment experience.
• Use LinkedIn to your advantage. Many employers are on this professional social networking site and it is a great way to keep your job information current.
Just remember, keeping your resume current is very important. New opportunities are always available to those who are prepared.
Also, remember to check back here every week for your Tuesday Tips.