Today, December 23rd, is one of the busiest travel days of the year. Many people may be packing up and hitting the road this morning. Others may be going out of town tonight or tomorrow. Whatever your travel plans may be, the road conditions in Wisconsin are not the best due to sleet/snow conditions.
Follow these Tuesday Tips to make sure you are traveling safe in today’s poor weather conditions.
- Take it slow; remember that rushing will increase your risk of getting into an accident.
- Try to avoid driving if you are fatigued. You should have a good amount of rest before taking on winter weather conditions.
- Check your tires and make sure they are properly inflated.
- Remember, there will be more cold weather days coming up, and always keep your gas tank at half full so it does not freeze.
- When roads are slick, like today, do not use cruise control when driving on slippery surfaces.
- Have an emergency winter kit in your car. Go here to see what you all need in this emergency kit.
- Make sure your exhaust pipe is not clogged with ice or snow. When an exhaust pipe is blocked it can cause carbon monoxide to leak into the car.
- Remember to accelerate and decelerate slowly.
- When the conditions are poor, remember to keep your following distance between 8 and 10 seconds so you have time to brake if the car in front of you brakes.
We hope these tips will be helpful for your holiday travel plans. Always remember to stay home if you can avoid traveling when road conditions are poor.
Have a happy holiday from all of us at Community Insurance & Associates.