We have been busy little elves at our offices these last two weeks with putting up holiday decorations. Just this morning we added a new decoration with pine branches and poinsettias to our Stevens Point office and the whole place is filled with a wonderful piney scent!
Pine branches and real Christmas trees are some of my favorite parts of the holidays, but they can also be hazardous. Letting your tree get too dry and/or placing it near open flames such as fireplaces and candles can pose a real threat to your holiday fun. Follow these safety tips to keep your home safe over the holiday season.
- Make sure your tree always has enough water. Dry trees pose more of a fire hazard and can ignite quickly.
- Keep your tree away from fireplaces, candles, heating vents, radiators, and other heat sources.
- Make sure your tree is in a sturdy tree stand. I remember coming home one time when I was a child and finding our Christmas tree laying on the floor with broken ornaments everywhere. Luckily I was old enough to avoid the glass, but it was still a dangerous situation.
- Only use indoor lights for your tree. Check the strands for broken or cracked sockets and replace or repair any lights that are damaged. If you use an artificial tree, check that it is tested and labeled as fire resistant.
- Don’t use more than three sets of lights on one extension cord. Place extension cords out of walkways to avoid tripping hazards.
Do you have any more safety tips for the holidays? Enjoy this time of year!