As the spring break season is ending, many people are beginning to plan their next vacations for the summer. May it be simple weekend camping trip, or a week-long road trip across the country, going on vacation is always fun. No matter the length of your trip, it’s still important to keep your home protected when you are away.
Home-burglaries are a very common occurrence when the thief/thieves know that someone will be away from their home. For example, when they know you will be on vacation. However, there are ways to protect your home while you are away.
Securing your home while you are away:
• Leave you blinds or shades the way that you normally keep them.
• Install a timer to lamps in your home so they go on when it is dark outside.
• Mow your lawn before you leave so it looks as though somebody is there.
• Tell a trusted neighbor or friend that you will be gone and ask them to keep an eye on your home.
• Arrange to have somebody pick up your mail for you while you are away. Otherwise, call your local post office and put your mail on hold until you return. • DO NOT post on social media that you will be away from your home. • Keep any valuables in a safe deposit box.
• Make sure all doors and windows are securely locked.
• Do not hide a key outside of your door.