Many parts of the nation are experiencing a blast of cold air once again. It has many of us thinking about warmer weather and about taking a vacation somewhere where there isn’t white fluffy snow on the ground. Whether you are taking a family vacation or heading somewhere with your friends this winter, what you pack is very important. Airlines continue to change their guidelines on size of suitcases and carry-on bags. Depending on how much you pack, you could pay upwards of $50 just to check one suitcase. However, there are some easy ways to keep your packing under control so you can avoid any hefty airport expenses.
- Do you know if your vacation accommodations will have laundry services? If so, you can pack much lighter and wash your clothes at some point on your trip.
- Keep your valuable possessions with you and not in your checked bag while you are flying. Jewelry, credit cards, cash, and electronics should be in your carry-on.
- Always roll you clothes tightly before putting them in the suitcase. You will be able to fit a lot more in your suitcase if you roll your clothes as opposed to folding them.
- Remember, hotels will often have a hair dryer, soap, shampoo, conditioner, beach towels, and many other bulky items that you can leave at home.
- Travel-size toiletries are a must, especially if you plan on fitting everything into a carry-on. The TSA has regulations on the size of liquids, aerosols, and gels that can be in your carry-on bag, Make sure you read up on the 3-1-1 rule here.
- Check the weather forecast before you go on the trip. Only pack the clothes that you need and will be appropriate for the weather of your destination.
- Make a list of everything you need for your trip. This is a very simple concept, but making a list and checking it before you leave will insure you don’t forget anything important.
- Wear your heavier clothes on the plane with you. Boots, jackets, and jeans can take up a lot of room in your luggage.
Hopefully you have a vacation in store in the near feature and if you don’t it’s never too late to start planning. There are several websites that will help you find great vacation deals. Taking a trip can really help break you out of the winter blues and give you a much-needed vacation. Just remember to make a list before you go and to pack light.