As you prepare to handle the Black Friday shopping rush, it’s important that you prepare yourself to keep safe while shopping this year. All of the deals and steals can be alluring; however, if you are not cautious it could turn into a dangerous shopping trip.
- Consider purchasing a pre-paid credit card to avoid identity theft while shopping. This will also allow you to leave large amounts of cash at home.
- Make a plan to where you are going shopping and at what times. Make sure everyone in your party knows the plan and stick to it.
- Park in a well-lit area and always lock your vehicle.
- Even if you are not getting up very early, stay alert and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Have your keys in your hand when approaching your car so that you can get in immediately.
- Do not ever leave your purse, wallet, or phone in plain view. Also, never leave any of these items unattended in your shopping cart.
- Never resist or chase after someone when they try to take your belongings. Instead call 911 immediately.
- If you use an ATM to get cash, make sure you are in a well-lit area.
- Avoid getting pick-pocketed by carrying your purse close to your body or wallet inside a coat pocket or front pant pocket.
We hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. If you plan on shopping on Black Friday, please keep these tips in mind in order to protect yourself this holiday season.