During the month of December it is a time to focus on the prevention of driving while drugged, drunk, or distracted. Impaired driving is involved in one third of all deaths from car crashes.
This time of year is filled with many holiday parties and this can lead to people on the roads after a night of heavy drinking. Also, New Years Eve is a very common night in which many drivers are impaired. However, we can keep ourselves and loved ones safe by making sure to raise awareness about the consequences that come with driving under the influence.
How can you raise awareness and keep the roads safe?
- Explain to others the serious risks that come with driving while intoxicated, drugged, or while on your cell phone. Many prescription medications can influence the alertness of drivers and can be considered impaired driving.
- You should always tell others not to drive while under the influence, but you should also never get into a car with someone that you believe to be under the influence.
- ALWAYS have a designated driver.
- If you are hosting a holiday party, consider having non-alcoholic options for those who are the designated drivers. Also, try putting the alcoholic beverages away an hour before the end of the party.
- Watch out for drivers who seem to be under the influence. They may be swerving or driving very fast, if you are suspicious do not hesitate to call the authorities.
Remember, safe driving awareness can be practiced all year and not just in December. Have a safe and wonderful holiday season. Let’s keep our roads and loved ones safe!