Statistics collected by the National Fire Protection Agency show that between 2005 and 2009, there was an average of 8,200 home fires involving grills, hibachis, or barbecues each year. These fires resulted in an average of $75 million in direct property damage each year. That’s a lot of money dished out for simply wanting to enjoy a hamburger!
If the weathermen’s predictions hold true, it looks as though we will be enjoying optimal grilling weather, just in time for Memorial Day weekend. Before you grab your lighter fluid or crank up the gas on your propane tank, be sure to review grilling safety tips.
- It may seem like common sense, but always make sure to only grill outdoors. Choose an area that is well ventilated and is free from clutter, especially highly flammable items such as gasoline tanks or dry debris.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area and never leave the grill unattended.
- Clean your grill regularly to remove grease and fat drippings.
- Only use charcoal starter fluid to start your charcoal grill. Do not use or add any other fluids.
- Check your propane tank and gas line for leaks before using a gas grill. If you smell gas while cooking, call the fire department immediately and do not move the grill.
- Always make sure you are protected by a reliable Wisconsin home insurance policy. Contact us today to get coverage before it is too late.
From all of us here at Community Insurance, have a fun and safe Memorial Day weekend!