This summer has been a hot one. However, don’t let your body mislead you when you start to feel out of the weather. This could be the sign of the cold or flu. It is important to take care of yourself so you can relax and enjoy family during this season. Some tips on prevention and recovery of the cold and flu, provided by Stevens Point Journal, are helpful in keeping you and your family healthy:
The most effective way to decrease the impact of the flu is to get a preventative vaccine shot. The best time for vaccination is early October to mid-November. Certain people are at an increased risk of complications and some of these include those who:
• are aged 65 years or older
• are aged 6 months to 23 months
• are healthy children aged 2 to 4 years of age
• have lung diseases (e.g., asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
• have heart conditions (e.g., angina, congestive heart failure)
• have diabetes or other metabolic diseases
• have kidney problems
• have blood disorders (e.g., anemia)
If you are currently sick with a low-grade fever, experts suggest you should wait until you are better before you get the vaccine. However, if you do not have a fever, you do not have to wait. Factors that may increase the risk of catching a cold are fatigue, emotional stress, smoking, and nasal allergies. Factors that do not increase the risk of catching a cold include cold body temperature (i.e., being out in the cold), eating habits, and enlarged tonsils.
The best way to recover from catching the flu or a cold is good hygiene:
• Wash your hands frequently.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
• Use a tissue if you are sneezing or coughing, and then discard the used tissue immediately.
• Clean hard surfaces with a disinfectant.
• Drink plenty of fluids (6 to 8 glasses per day). Try drinking hot fluids to help with nasal and chest congestion.
• Get enough rest. Fatigue can increase the duration of symptoms. Staying in bed will also avoid spreading the infection to others.
• Gargle with salt water to relieve a dry throat.
Here at Community Insurance and Associates, we are committed to providing you with the best Wisconsin health insurance around! We always have your well-being in mind because you never know when an accident may occur or a health issue will strike. We are here to help you prevent major financial loss through our policy offers. Our health insurance plans generally provide coverage for: Doctor’s visits, prescriptions, medical testing, specialized care, and surgical procedures. Don’t get caught in the cold, let us protect your health with our insurance today!