You have just recently moved to a different city, or maybe you are starting a new job, whatever the reason you are in the search for a new doctor. When it comes to finding a good primary care physician the search can be difficult. The process of finding a new doctor is not very simple, but finding a great physician is key to you and your family’s health. It is important to find a doctor that you feel comfortable treating you and your family. Take your time when picking out a doctor and make sure you know what type of physician is right for you.
There are a few things you should consider when you are picking out a primary care physician:
• Younger vs. Older? Make sure you consider whether you would like an older doctor with years of experience, or a younger doctor who has just recently completed years of training and education.
• You should also consider whether you would like a well-established doctor who has very few appointment times available or a less-recognizable doctor who may be more flexible.
• There are many doctors who like to take their time when talking to patients; however, this can make for a long time sitting in the waiting room. Consider whether you would like a more timely and straight to the point doctor, or a doctor who may not always be on time.
• Make sure that you can feel comfortable with your doctor, set up an appointment to see if you will be able to sustain a long relationship with your new primary care physician.
• Think about where your doctor’s office is located, if you have children you are definitely going to want a location that is close to your work or home.
• You should find out if your doctor uses electronic health records (EHR’s). These health records are used by a wide array of doctors and is a way of privately sharing your health information through an electronic database. It is a nice system when you need to be seen at another clinic or by another doctor.
• Listen to recommendations made my friends, family, and co-workers. Word-of-mouth is a powerful factor when it comes to choosing a doctor. See what other people have to say and use their advice in your decision making process.
• Make sure you know what your insurance policy covers. Many companies give you a list of physicians that your have to choose from, so make sure you know what is covered under your insurance policy when you are searching for a new physician.
It is becoming more and more important that you lock in a good primary care physician. Especially since the need for physicians is estimated to increase in 2014. Make sure you take your time when you are choosing a care provider and that you find somebody that you feel comfortable around. There are many doctors out there, but finding one that fits all of your criteria can be difficult. Have a plan, make sure your insurance covers your physician, and do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have.